Sunday, July 24, 2011

Everything I Need to Know in Life I Learned At Burning Man

It's almost that time of year again! Almost time to get dusty! :-) In starting to prepare for Burning Man this year, I was thinking about a short essay I had written after I got home two years ago from my first Burning Man...


Everything I Need to Know in Life I Learned At Burning Man - written Sept 29, 2009

I had an amazing and wonderful time at Burning Man a month ago, and I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate that joy into my 'normal' life. Here are some of my ideas...

1) Release Expectations & Enjoy the Moment
On the playa, things aren't going to go as planned - rocket ships take off hours later than scheduled, acroyoga classes are full and teacher-less, friends are impossible to find, etc. If I held onto my expectations of how things would go, I often felt stressed and unhappy with how things were actually going - but when I remembered to breathe and enjoy the moment, I ended up having a great time!

2) Be Giving and Grateful
I loved the 'pay it forward' mentality. It felt wonderful to hand out waffles and see people run excited from across the street - without thinking that they had to reciprocate in any way. I want to maintain that giving and sharing attitude in real life - more potlucks with friends, more random acts of kindness to strangers. I also want to continue being grateful for the little things - for the mini kite that a guy walking by gave me, for friends who helped to detangle my hair at Astral Head Wash, for blue PortaPotties emerging from the dust when I really had to go.

3) Step Outside My Comfort Zone
I interacted with all sorts of new people and interesting art exhibits. I saw things that in the past I might have pre-judged in a negative way - but instead I was able to be open-minded and accepting, and I definitely had a better time and met great people because of it. I hope to keep being open to new experiences, and to be adventurous physically, mentally, socially, and emotionally.

4) Stay Inside My Comfort Zone
While I had a wonderful time trying new things, I also had a blast (and found contentment) doing things that I already know I love, like staying in with friends or taking time for myself. Adventuring is much more fun when I am calm and centered. I love having my sanctuary - a place to get away - as well as my core of friends to keep me grounded.

5) Consciously Choose to Be Me ... or Not
I brought enough clothes to the playa to be all sorts of Teresas (and to outfit the whole RV for Tutu Tuesday!), and it was great to try different ways of dressing and being without worrying about what 'the world' would think of me. I'm not about to be 'playa me' in all of real life - but I like knowing that I can consciously choose what roles to play and when to play them - and also when not to play a role!

Here's to burning all year-round! :-) Feel free to remind me when real life tries to get me down!

No comments:

Post a Comment